A common question people having regarding their Social Security Disability benefits is if they are eligible for dental coverage. Under Medicaid, dental benefits for adults are not covered under federal law except for minors and young adults age 21 or younger, but it is optional under some state programs.
- In Illinois, preventive dental care services are covered.
- In Michigan, the dentist must participate in Healthy Michigan plan for dental coverage.
- In Minnesota, dental services are covered.
- In Missouri, dental coverage is available including examinations, x-rays, cleanings, fillings, and extractions.
- In Ohio, dental coverage is quite extensive including checkups and cleanings.
- In Wisconsin, dental services are covered.
It is recommended that if you receive Medicaid coverage that you speak with your state’s Medicaid program to determine the exact benefits you are eligible for.
Under Medicare, dental benefits do not cover most dental care; however, some Medicare Advantage Plans (Part C) do offer extra benefits.
Deborah E. Bensch