What Should my Doctor Know About my Social Security Disability Case?

There are certain things that your doctor(s) can do to help possibly facilitate a better outcome in your Social Security disability case. Here are a few suggestions as to what you need to do make sure your doctor knows how to better assist you with your claim. Social Security is looking for certain information within your medical records and on the forms or statements that your doctor fills out on your behalf.
In Social Security’s eyes, your doctor needs to document your functional limitations in your medical records. These records will be the most important evidence in your case. Having it writing as to what you can and cannot do is very important. So your part is to be honest as to what has changed with your disabilities and how it affects your daily life, even if it seems to you to be no big deal. The little changes can add up. Social Security is looking for your doctor’s assessment of how you can do basic tasks. If your doctor is a specialist in his or her field and is willing to fill out a Residual Functional Capacity form (RFC) that might add weight to your medical records.
Your doctor(s) may also write a medical statement letter on your behalf discussing your disabilities. You can have more than one doctor write a medical statement for you. If your doctors are reluctant to assist you in your claim, find out why and try to address their concerns. There might be a good reason why you doctor(s) might not be willing to write something on your behalf.
You have a part in how Social Security looks at your claim as well. You need to be compliant with what your doctor suggests you to do in the treatment of your disabilities. If you are non-compliant or just do not seek medical help for your impairments then, Social Security might believe that you are not credible and your claim could be in jeopardy. So following the doctor’s orders is better for your claim in the long run.
So, both you and your doctors have things that you can do to give your claim the best chance of a positive outcome. Your doctor(s) can fill out the Residual Functional Capacity RFC form or write a medical statement letter. Most important, is your doctors need to be thorough when documenting your disabilities and how they have changed your daily living abilities, and what you might no longer be able to do in your medical records. You can best assist your claim by following the doctor’s orders and/or seeking ongoing medical treatment for your disabilities if you are not treating.

Written by Hoglund Law

The attorneys of Hoglund law are licensed in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Ohio. Hoglund, Chwialkowski & Mrozik, PLLC is based in Roseville, Minnesota. In addition to handling cases involving bankruptcy & social security, Hoglund, Chwialkowski & Mrozik, PLLC handles faulty drugs and toxic exposure.

View all author posts →

Legal Blog Expert