Applying For Social Security

Signing up for social security disability benefits is a simple process in concept but can lead to a few complications. To begin you must apply either over the phone with the Social Security Administration(1-800-772-1213) , online at, or by visiting a local office.

To complete your application, you may be asked to provide information, such as your birth certificate, proof of citizenship, U.S. military discharge papers, if applicable, W-2 forms or self-employment tax forms, pay stubs, award letters or other documentation showing payment of worker’s compensation benefits. In addition to these forms, you may be asked to provide any medical evidence you have and an adult disability report[1]. These are necessary to show the extent of the disability. When applying, there are a list of questions that you may be asked to answer. The questions that social security asks are as follows: “

  • Your name, gender and Social Security number;
  • Your name at birth (if different);
  • Your date of birth and place of birth (State or foreign country);
  • Whether a public or religious record was made of your birth before age 5;
  • Your citizenship status;
  • Whether you or anyone else has ever filed for Social Security benefits, Medicare or Supplemental Security Income on your behalf (if so, we will also ask for information on whose Social Security record you applied);
  • Whether you have used any other Social Security number;
  • Whether you were ever in the active military service before 1968 and, if so, the dates of service and whether you have ever been eligible to receive a monthly benefit from a military or Federal civilian agency;
  • Whether you or your spouse have ever worked for the railroad industry;
  • Whether you have earned Social Security credits under another country’s Social Security system;
  • Whether you qualified for or expect to receive a pension or annuity based on your own employment with the Federal government of the United States or one of its States or local subdivisions;
  • Whether you are currently married and, if so, your spouse’s name, date of birth (or age) and Social Security number (if known);
  • The names, dates of birth (or age) and Social Security numbers (if known) of any former spouses;
  • The dates and places of each of your marriages and, for marriages that have ended, how and when they ended;
  • The names of any unmarried children under age 18, age 18-19 and in elementary or secondary school, or disabled before age 22;
  • Whether you have or had a child under age 3 living with you during a calendar year when you had no earnings;
  • Whether you have a parent who was dependent on you for 1/2 of his or her support at the time you became disabled;
  • Whether you had earnings in all years since 1978;
  • The name(s) of your employer(s) or information about your self-employment and the amount of your earnings for this year and last year;
  • Whether you received or expect to receive any money from an employer since the date you became unable to work;
  • Whether you have any unsatisfied felony or arrest warrants for escape from custody, flight to avoid prosecution or confinement, or flight-escape;
  • The date you became unable to work because of illnesses, injuries or conditions and if you are still unable to work; and
  • Information about any workers’ compensation, black lung, and/or similar benefits you filed, or intend to file for. These benefits can:
    • Be temporary or permanent in nature;
    • Include annuities and lump sum payments that you received in the past; and
    • Be paid by your employer or your employer’s insurance carrier, private agencies, or Federal, State or other government or public agencies. ” [2]


After completing your application, Social Security will review the application and decide whether you qualify for benefits. It may be helpful to obtain an attorney even while applying.  An attorney can help with completing the application, help you avoid common mistakes and even ask for opinions from current doctors.  The Social Security Administration will not do any of these things.  For any questions, please contact our office at 1-855-780-4357 for further assistance.





Brady Cysiewski

Written by Hoglund Law

The attorneys of Hoglund law are licensed in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Ohio. Hoglund, Chwialkowski & Mrozik, PLLC is based in Roseville, Minnesota. In addition to handling cases involving bankruptcy & social security, Hoglund, Chwialkowski & Mrozik, PLLC handles faulty drugs and toxic exposure.

View all author posts →

Additional Related Articles

Legal Blog Expert