What is an Administrative Discharge?

An administrative discharge relieves you from having to repay a federal student loan on the basis of your total and permanent disability. Before your federal student loans can be discharged, you must provide information to the U.S. Department of Education showing that you are totally and permanently disabled. Then the Department will evaluate the information to determine if you qualify for an administrative discharge. If you want to apply for an administrative discharge, you must complete an administrative discharge application and gather supporting documentation that show you are totally and permanently disabled.